Click here to skip to main content.
Ref NoTP/9095
Carrington Bridge
DescriptionCarrington Bridge, Carrington. Legend has it that it was a Lady Carrington who was responsible for building a bridge across the river Mersey. The iron bridge was built around 1840 and replaced an earlier wooden structure, which linked Carrington to Flixton. Although the iron bridge was only wide enough to take a horse and cart, it provided a vital link across the river Mersey. Carrington Parish Council reported on 1st May 1895 that the bridge was in a dangerous condition. They appointed a committee to solicit voluntary subscriptions for the necessary work to be undertaken. The estimated sum required for this repair was £50. In 1907, Flixton Bridge was opened and the iron bridge gradually became redundant, as people used the stone bridge and the new straight road into Carrington. The iron bridge eventually fell into disrepair and was demolished.
FormatB&W Photograph


Extent2 copies
AccessConditionsThis item is located in the archives and requires 24 hours notice
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2023